Toll free: 855-QUEST-US

Customs Regulations

Botswana Flag


Botswana Flag


  • Passport
  • Residence Permit and Work Permit
  • Letter from employer confirming appointment and duration of contract
  • Inventory
  • Form CE101 (in duplicate, to be presented to the Department of Customs and Excise)
  • P1.160 Form (in triplicate)


  • Returning residents must prove to Customs that they have been out of the country for two years or more
  • Used household goods and personal effects must arrive within six months of Customer's arrival


  • Depending on the status of the owner, an auto may be imported duty-free providing it has been owned and used for one year prior to shipment and arrives within six months of Customer's arrival
  • Documents required:
    • Import Permit, issued by the Ministry of Commerce, is required
    • Application form IC.2 (available from destination agent) to be completed and forwarded with registration documents to the Ministry of Commerce
    • Registration papers and proof that the auto has been owned and used for one year
    • Purchase invoice and/or proof of purchase value
    • CE101 completed in duplicate, submitted with Import Permit, Residence Permit, Passport, to Department of Customs and Excise
    • Police clearance certificate



  • A veterinary certificate and a valid rabies certificate are required. Also, a health certificate and animal registration certificate from the country of origin and an import permit are necessary
  • The veterinary certificate must be issued and signed by the state, confirming that the animal is healthy and that the inoculations are valid. The import permit is issued by the Botswana state veterinarian or the Department of Agriculture
  • The health certificate must be obtained within 30 days of departure and be less than one (1) year old.
  • The veterinarian at country of origin must examine the animal at least 16 days prior to departure.


  • Quarantine is not necessary. Once the animal has been examined and the surgeon is satisfied with the condition of the animal it will be released



  • Pornography books and magazines
  • Walkie-talkies (i.e. two-way radios)
  • Radios
  • Compact Disc players
  • Cell Phones


  • Certain feathers, furs, skins, and tusks of animals coming under the protected species regulations


  • Plant and vegetable products require a phytosanitary certificate from the department of agriculture in Botswana.


NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers.
Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, we cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance.
Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.



Email this article.......