Toll free: 855-QUEST-US

Customs Regulations

Martinique Flag


Martinique Flag



Shipments of household goods and personal effects can be imported duty free provided the shipper has owned and used the goods for at least twelve (12) months prior to the relocation if the shipment is coming from a non-EU country.


The following documents are needed for duty free importation:

  • Detailed inventory in French, signed by the shipper
  • Certificate of Change of Residence from French consulate
  • Non Resale Attestation Form signed by the shipper


The Change of Residence Certificate is obtained by the shipper (relocate) when he/she collects his/her visa from the French consulate. The Certificate should state that the shipper hsa been a resident outside the EU for longer than 12 months before the transfer.

A non-resale attestation form can also be obtained from the French consulate. The form is in French, and will need to be signed by the shipper. This form states that the goods being imported are for the personal use of the shipper and not for resale.

If the shipper is being transferred for job related reasons, the Customs Office will usually accept an attestation of transfer from the shipper's employer, which should state that the individual is being transferred for employment reasons and that he has not been a resident in the EU during the prior 12 months. Also, his certificate of transfer will replace his change of residence documentation.




Some prohibited goods incude, but are not limited to:


  • Live plants
  • Ivory
  • Drugs
  • Ammunition




Vehicles can be imported duty free provided they have been owned and used by the shipper for at least six months prior to importation. The owner must have been living abroad for at least one year. The shipper should have available:


  • original document of titl
  • certificate of change of residence
  • past registration
  • past insurance cards
  • sale invoice
  • non-resale form signed by the importer






Shippers can import small and reasonable amounts of liquor (up to fifty bottles) as part of a household good shipment. Duty and tax will be applied on all liquor.






Heavily restricted item:
Shipper will need to obtain prior approval from the French Ministry of Defense to import firearms. (Import permit issued by Directorate General of Customs, bureau D 3.)







All pets must have a certificate of health from a veterinarian indicating that the pet is free from rabies, and has lived in the origin country for at least six months. This certificate must be dated no less than three days prior to departure. Alternately, the shipper can have a new rabies inoculation certificated dated between one and six months of departure




  • New items
  • Jewelry and precious metals
  • Antiques and art objects




NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers.
Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, we cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.



Email this article.......