Toll free: 855-QUEST-US

Customs Regulations

Thailand Flag


Thailand Flag



  • Passport (original)
  • Non-immigrant visa or resident visa valid for one year
  • Work Permit (original) or copy of B.O.I. Letter (to Customs) valid for one year
  • It is recommended that the customer coordinate arrival of the shipment with the issuing of the Work Permit to facilitate duty-free entry.
  • Inventory (two copies, legible and in English) showing the following details:
    • Manner of packing (carton, wrapped, crated, etc.)
    • For all electrical appliances, the brand name, model and serial number
    • For TVs, the diameter of the picture tube and whether color or black and white
    • Copy of insurance policy (if applicable)
  • Shipper's contact address and phone number




  • All shipments subject to inspection
  • Anyone with a full year Work Permit (or one year Visa) and returning Thai residents who have lived more than one year abroad (to frequent traveling back and forth can cause problems with customer) will be considered for duty-free exemption.
  • Customer allowed duty-free import of one air and one sea shipment from country of last residence
  • Shipment must not arrive before the customer
  • Goods must arrive no later than six months after the date on the Work Permit


  • Goods must originate from the same country as the customer




  • New items (over six months old) require invoices
  • Alcoholic beverages 
  • Tobacco products
  • Works of art and antiquities
  • Especially HIGH DUTIES apply to stereo and video equipment, all appliances, luxury items, carpets, foodstuff, and office equipment
  • Only one of each type of electrical appliance is allowed, duplicate appliances will be charged full duties.
  • Computers, fax machines and phones can cause problems, may not be considered as household/personal effects, but rather as dutiable office equipment.


  • Narcotics and drugs
  • Medical equipment
  • Gold and silver
  • Plants (Health Certificate required)
  • Several plant and fruits are prohibited (inquire before importing)
  • Firearms, weapons, ammunition and dangerous objects (subject to taxes and licensing, which take very long; goods of this type MUST NOT BE INCLUDED in household goods shipment)
  • Radio equipment and transmitters of any kind
  • Pornographic material

    Automobiles may not be imported unless the applicant applies for the permission and receives the permission from the Ministry of Commerce before shipping the automobile into the kingdom. This permission is very difficult to obtain for anyone who is not a diplomat. Duties can be as high as 300% on the value of a new car.

  • Automobile Registration from the foreign country
  • Driver's license from the country from which the car was exported
  • Original B/L
    • Import permit (must be available before the car is shipped to Thailand)


  • Animals subject to duties
  • Information such as sex, name, age and breed should be provided to Destination Agent well in advance of importation of animal
  • Quarantine may be required
  • Documents required:
    • Import Permit
    • Health Certificate providing evidence that rabies vaccination has been administered seven days prior to departure
    • Certificate of Vaccination
    • Pedigree (if available)
  • Note: It is recommended to send pets as excess baggage where customs clearance and duties may not be applicable.


    When sending a loose shipment it is suggested to use a 20ft. container as they are more practical for Bangkok roads.

    Only one sea shipment and one air shipment are permitted 
    Shipper can bring only one of each appliance.


    NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers.
    Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, we cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.





Email this article.......