Toll free: 855-QUEST-US

Customs Regulations

Vietnam Flag


Vietnam Flag



  • Passport (original)
  • Inventory (two copies, legible in English and detailed , PBO "Packed By Owner" not acceptable)
  • For electronic items note the brand, model and serial number
  • Loading sheet showing item numbers in each liftvan
  • Copy of government work permit showing that the Customer's company or organization is authorized to set up a company in Vietnam
  • If the Customer does not have this government work permit, the shipment can not be cleared to enter the country
  • Copy of airport Customs declaration retained by Customer's last entry


    • Letter authorizing Destination Agent to handle Customs clearance on Customer's company letterhead


  • Customers name as written on all packages and documents is the same as shown in his/her passport



    • Customer has to be in Vietnam for Customs clearance for both air and sea shipments, passport required for Customs clearance


  • Customers are allowed only one air and one surface shipment
  • Customs inspects 100% of all shipments

  • All items must be "used"





  • Luxury goods, including TV's, stereos, computers, radios, VCRs, cassette recorders, motorcycles, automobiles, tobacco, alcohol and foodstuff are heavily taxed
  • Alcoholic beverages and tobacco products must be on inventory with exact number of bottles and type of alcohol and quantity of tobacco. If you wish to import alcohol it is advisable that it be less than two cases.
  • Cultural items such as books, compact discs, video and cassette tapes, video recorders, computer discs, calendars and document files will be inspected by the Cultural Department (these items should be listed clearly on the packing list with the quantity of each item) or it is recommended the Customer bring CD’s, cassette tapes, and radio tapes as accompanied baggage
  • The charge for inspecting these items are for the Customer's account
  • Medicine (must provide prescription)
  • Electrical and electronic items are dutiable and note brand, model and serial number on inventory
  • Telephones and fax machines require an Import License and must be registered in Vietnam
  • Unauthorized use of these items can result in fines and confiscation
  • Antiques brought into Vietnam should be photographed at origin and declared to Customs upon arrival to avoid any problems at time of export from Vietnam


  • Firearms and ammunition
  • Narcotics
  • Pornographic, cultural or politically sensitive material
  • Radio transmitters
  • Satellite dishes
  • Any political or historical books about Vietnam
  • Vietnamese Government will confiscate above items if imported

  • All autos must be new (less than 100 km) and left-hand drive
  • Motor vehicles for diplomatic/international organizations, and under terms of certain foreign investment licenses can be imported duty free.All others are subject to 150% duty, the value as assessed by customs officials
  • Motorcycles are strictly limited to those of 125cc engine size or smaller
  • An Import Permit is required
  • Certificate of Registration
  • Car papers
  • PETS

  • Pets are duty-free
  • Documents required:
    • Rabies vaccination papers
    • Health Certificate (not more than seven days old)
    • Sanitary Certificate
    • Letter authorizing Destination Agent to handle Customs clearance on Customer's behalf
    • Provide Destination Agent with the type of pet, name, breed, sex, color, size or weight and age of the animal
  • There are currently no acceptable kennels for domestic pets in Vietnam, so plan pets' arrival accordingly.

    NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers.
    Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, we cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.





Email this article.......